Tuesday, September 20, 2011

No, I am not going to talk about the recent paper on the success of Foldit. Mostly since if you can even get a crystal structure for something, it's probably not agonizingly painful enough for me to work on - as I've said before, give me your disordered, your poorly soluble, your aggregated masses yearning to be analyzed.

Anyway, I wanted to mention this interesting-looking paper:

Binding Leverage as a Molecular Basis for Allosteric Regulation. I haven't had a chance to really dig into the paper, but the idea itself is simple enough - ligand binding can couple to various collective motions in proteins to varying extents, due to which we observe allosteric modulation of enzyme function. There are obvious oversights (one example that they mention in the paper - the lack of attention paid to proteins that aren't enzymes such as signaling proteins of various types), and I'd want to pore through which structures they used in the PDB (e.g., how did they deal with the family of structures that are generated by NMR if applicable). Then again, I usually consider thought-provoking ideas worth the publication, even if a judiciously skeptical outlook may make them seem a little less lustrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment