Friday, September 9, 2011

As it’s that time of the year again to start speculating about potential Nobel laureates for 2011, I’ve already chimed in at The Curious Wavefunction and left a short note over at ChemBark.

While I’d be pleased to see another magnetic resonance prize (or five), there is a huge name which I’ve neglected, mostly since I was afraid that his time to be recognized had passed, but as he was the Welch Award recipient this year – John Waugh from MIT. Of course, if it were up to me, I bet I could come up with at least half a dozen trios of deserving recipients for magnetic resonance. But anyway…..

I’ve wondered about this earlier and I might as well bring it up again – what about the Kavli Prizes? Currently, they’re awarded for astrophysics, nanoscience, and neuroscience – will see ever see a dual Kavli and Nobel laureate? Or will being recognized with one put you out of the running for the other? Having said that, I know people were predicting someone getting a Nobel for semiconductor nanocrystals, so perhaps if Lou Brus is recognized by the Nobel committee, we’ll see one this year.

Quantitative biochemistry is not giving me quite as much of a headache. Although I'm hardly done with it just yet. I do envision there being an extremely dense biochemistry publication in my future. Speaking of which, back to working up data....

No comments:

Post a Comment